In a recent sting operation New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs (NJDCA) undercover investigators posing as consumers booked household moves with unlicensed movers. Typically these were moving companies who had been using online listings to advertise their services. The unlicensed companies sent moving crews to the location the undercover investigators had requested and much to their surprise were met by a team of inspectors and enforcement officers.
As well as the NJDCA there was U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO), the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and New Jersey State Police (NJSP).
Nineteen moving companies were involved in the sting and as a result:
- ICE identified and arrested seven moving company employees who were in the United States in violation of law, three of whom had previous convictions.
- NJSP arrested three moving company employees who were wanted on warrants for matters such as unpaid child support or unpaid traffic violations.
- Three companies sent Budget rental trucks in place of properly registered and insured vehicles.
- Two moving companies sent drivers who did not have valid driver’s licenses.
- Nineteen companies face civil penalties of $2,500 each for soliciting intrastate moves without the required New Jersey license.
The nineteen companies cited are listed below:
Vadzim Paplauski d/b/a Moving Solutions, Brooklyn, NY
Ironmen Movers Inc., East Rutherford
Chics Services Limited Liability Company, Frenchtown
MBD Moving and Storage II LLC, Lakewood
Move IQ LLC, Maple Shade
B & D Movers, Milford, PA
Arrow Moving Systems Inc, Moonachie
Allen Transfer & Storage Co., Mount Holly
Jovani’s Moving LLC, North Bergen
Rolando Pozo t/a Pozo Moving and Storage, North Bergen
Slattery Moving & Storage, Inc., Nyack, NY
Schulgasser Bros. Moving L.L.C., Passaic
Timothy Maddox d/b/a Maddox Moving, Paterson
Broad Street Movers, LLC d/b/a Deen Moving LLC, Philadelphia, PA
Grimes7Grimes We Pack U Ship LLC, Toms River
Santi Express, Inc., Valley Cottage, NY
AN Piano Moving Limited Liability Company, Wayne
Venita Roots t/a Carls Moving and Storage, West Deptford
MoveOurStuff.com, Inc., West Haverstraw, NY
Ten of these moving companies were using professional looking web sites and seven were using Craigslist and/or Angie’s List listings. Please remember as NJDCA Acting Director, Steve Lee said following the sting “An attractive online listing does not mean a company is licensed or reputable”.